**WARNING TO MAGES**

Linda

4 Days ago, I bought myself new armor that should have given me an AR of 64. My actual AR was 49.

Aroo...? So, I stripped. AR was -15 !? What the...? In my undies! Nothing else on. I asked Winter and it was suggested I pagea GM, while stark raving nekked.

Instead of a GM, I got a message saying I needed to check resistances and turn them off. Again, aroo?? Im an Archer! How could I cast any mage spell on myself with little to no magery and not know I did it?

Well the GM's were no help so I wandered off to Stratics and was told that some nice little mage zapped me with either magic reflection or protection or arch protection. Well, I dont remember a drive-by-spelling.

It was suggested I go find another nice little mage and ask them to cast one of these spells on me. Magic reflection (scroll form) dropped me to -40 AR. So I ate another one. Back to -15. Ok that wasn't it. I ate a protection scroll. BINGO! back to zero AR.

Here's the problem mages!! Those spells can only be cast on others while you are grouped with them. The problem is the fact that those of us who do not cast magery spells are hurt in the end by what is meant to be helpful spells. The idea behind the protection spell is to stop the person its cast on from failing a spell while inturrupted. Great concept, but you loose AR and the spell cant be turned "off" unless its recasted. Since your typical archer usually is training chivalry, magery is not a used skill, therefore, that nice gester has just fluffed us, because unless we know this has happend (and in my case, I didn't and there is no telling HOW long I was running about with 15 less AR), we don't know how or that we need to turn it "off". Protection spell is actually quite useless for an archer, since it does not effect chivalry spells (that I noticed).

My suggestion: while grouped with non spell casters, find out if its ok to cast this "group" spell and please, please, please be sure that they understand that you just killed their AR and that the protection spell (or magic reflection/ arch protection etc etc) will need to be recasted to break it. Otherwise, they will run around for weeks like I did, without knowing WHY an Earth Ellie suddenly kicks their ass.

Edited by Linda

I get where you are comming from but.... i see a flaw one of my char's Kiria which some of you know wears horned armor well it gives her nice resistances but her ar is nothing but a tiny 6 hehe when she takes it off she has a normal 0 nothing negative. So there is a flaw somewhere and a gm can't help you with it .... Yes it sucks to be us sometimes :D